Friday, February 17, 2012

I think about a lot of things...

...most of them are pretty unimportant. But sometimes I just need to write them down. So, here you go- the things I'm thinking about instead of sleeping or reading while waiting for Tom to Skype me.
  • I really, really like my summer job at the museum. I may have tried to work the first week, even if that meant starting work literally the day after getting home from Spain. I hope that I love every job I have as much as I love this one. I start looking forward to next summer the day camp ends. I've made awesome friends through camp, and most of the confidence I have in teaching comes from my experiences in camp. I've struggled, failed, and succeeded there, and they still love me. And last summer they gave me Harry Potter camp all summer, which is still the greatest thing I've ever gotten paid to do. I am pretty much in love with what I do, and the museum, and science.
  • On that note, I would probably live in Houston if I could always work the camps at the museum. I don't want to live in the city I grew up in- I want a new experience and a new place- but I'd try it if I could have my dream job there.
  • I've picked out the song for my father/daughter dance at the wedding. It irks me that it's a somewhat overused song, and that people will think I picked it because it's easy or because I couldn't think of anything better, but it's one of the songs I always associate with my dad. And I couldn't pick a Frank Sinatra song. And most of the other songs are awesome, just not good for slow dancing to.
  • Sometimes I forget that I live in Spain. It sounds so weird, but it's normal to speak Spanish to the bus drivers, and cashiers, and I'm used to muddling through school with a mix of Spanish and English. And to be honest, I'm still terrible at communicating with little kids when they're excited about things. I did manage to get my first graders lined up, to the music room, and somewhat quiet today. (Kids aren't quiet here, and the teachers don't do a ton to help them quiet down. It's stressful for me.)
  • I really hate cooking for myself. In fact, I hate cooking and baking on my own. I totally prefer helping cook and then baking something for someone else. My idea of hell would be to be the chef competing in Iron Chef, but I would love to be a sous chef. I'm already started training with Tom.
  • I will definitely not be one of the brides who is depressed after her wedding because there's no more wedding planning to do. I don't love it- we've spaced it out so well so far that there's usually no upcoming deadlines and we only have to do one or two things at a time. Check back with me this summer and see how I feel.
  • I really want to make a seating chart. In fact, that's one of the few things I am excitedly looking forward to. I plan on color coding names too. Color coding is one of life's great joys.
  • I work with all the 3rd and 6th graders in my school, and most of the first graders. This meant I got to be a proud teacher of tons of kids at Carnaval today. They were adorable and I took so many photos and videos!

No comments:

Post a Comment