Thursday, January 19, 2012

Brave

That's one of the words that people keep telling me when they hear about me going to Spain, or staying here for a year. I appreciate hearing it, but I honestly don't feel brave sometimes. I guess I tend to only talk about the positive things, and I gloss over the stuff I'm nervous, worried, or terrified of.

So, in the spirit of being honest, here's what I used to worry about and still do. Since most of my fears were completely ridiculous, I'll make sure you know that too. Don't worry, I'll end on a positive note! (It's hard not to when your job is to work with adorable kids.)

I was absolutely terrified I wouldn't make real friends. I knew I'd be friends with people, but I was worried that I wouldn't find people who really got me. How crazy is that? Especially now that I have mi familia, and some amazing soul mates.
Cass Cass. Texas girls stick together.

Jess. Who else will sing show tunes with me?

Lauren and Leah. They make me smile and always good to talk to.
I need to get pictures of all the Roquetas girls together. We're hilarious when we're all hanging out. I love them all!

I was also terrified that I'd be unwelcome at my school and that I would hate my classes, or wouldn't be able to make a place for myself in the school. Thankfully, I was so, so, SO wrong about that. I feel like I belong here. That I am in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing. I've had one day where I came home wanting to cry, but after realizing there wasn't really anything I could do to fix that situation, I've had awesome days at work. (And now the situation is resolved, and it makes things so much better!) I love getting to know the kids. I love seeing how excited they are when they wave to me, or say hi, or even just get a smile from me. I also love how excited I get when I hear them trying to speak in English. I try to share that excitement all the time, even though sometimes they don't get it.

I am thankful that I am here, but I am also thankful that I have a plan for when I go back to the States. I love my job, and the teachers, and I know I am being prepared for my future class in the States. Because if you can convince a group of 6th graders that they're going to get homework no matter what, and explain it in 2 languages AND answer questions about it the next day, you must be doing something right.

No comments:

Post a Comment