Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Hills are Alive...

Tom and I met in Munich, stayed in a hotel close to the bahnhof (train station- the one word I know and I learned it from my mom), and then headed out to Salzberg to spend a day and a night there.

On the train.
I LOVED Salzburg and I didn't expect to. I was excited about the Sound of Music tour that I was hoping to do, but didn't have an interest in the city otherwise. I was so wrong. Our hotel was gorgeous and in the old part of the city, so I loved that.


Tom immediately got us out and exploring the city. We hiked up to the fort on the hill above Salzberg, which was not okay since it was incredibly steep and kept going forever. I demanded that we ride the funicular down, and it was totally worth it, even if it was a little terrifying.
Back of the fortress.
View from the wall.
The fort was cool, and so old and big! On a guided tour, we got to go up to the watch tower on top and see amazing views of Salzberg and the Alps. Slowly but surely, I'm facing my fear of heights and balconies so that I can take amazing pictures and remember where we got to go.

I seriously love this man. 

Salzberg from the lookout tower.
We walked around the old part of town, visited Mozart's cathedral, did some window shopping, found a chocolate store that had delicious champagne truffles, and had the best Italian food for dinner. I desperately missed Italian, so it was great to get some and to have it be so delicious that I ate all my food and a whole dessert, plus a little of Tom's food. Eating will be a theme of the trip, by the way!

Mozart's Cathedral
The next day, Tom graciously indulged my love of musicals and we went on a sing-a-long Sound of Music tour. I felt so bad for Tom at first. Not only did he learn tons of facts about a movie he didn't remember well, but he also had me singing all the songs, and telling him exactly what happened at each location.



We stopped by the house they used for the back of the Von Trapp house and the lake, and it was just as gorgeous in real life!


Then we drove over to see the house that was used for the front of the Von Trapp mansion, and got to see where the gazebo from the movie had been rebuilt! Sadly, they wouldn't let us take pictures inside, but at least we have a picture of us in front of it! Tom wouldn't dance with me, otherwise there would have been a whole photo shoot of me pretending I was Liesl, which I totally did in my head the whole morning anyway.

Avenue from the "I have confidence" song!

This was a surreal moment.

The Von Trapp house!
We drove out into the Lake District where they filmed some of the landscapes and the iconic field in the mountains, and that's when Tom decided the tour was pretty awesome. The views were gorgeous, and the town of Wannsee, where they filmed the wedding in the abbey, was so pretty! We've found a place we could definitely want to go back and spend more time in!

Heaven on earth.
 Also, getting to see where the wedding was filmed was awesome, but since it was Palm Sunday, the front of the church was covered in purple cloth, so it wasn't as I remembered from the movie. but I did get to walk down the aisle like Maria did! (Seriously, this day was basically me pretending I was in the movie. It was glorious.)

Awkward, but good shot from Tom!

The tour ended at the gardens where Maria and the children filmed Do Re Mi, so of course we visited most of the scenes from the garden and the song! Who didn't want to be in that movie when they were a kid? Exactly. 
The gardens.

Pegasus fountain! No, I didn't run around it. I'd have fallen in, and that'd be cold!

The dwarf they pat on the head. Apparently I like this pose for exciting moments...

The covered walkway!

We're adorable.

The statues!
The bridge they run over.
Afterwards, we had a little time until we wanted to catch a train, so we found a Christmas store and proceeded to buy Christmas stockings and ornaments for our Christmas tree!! If you know me at all, you'll know how exciting this was to me. And our stockings look like what I grew up with, and therefore seem more legitimate to me. Hooray! Overall, we loved Salzburg, and I wish we'd had more time there, but we had to get back to Munich for our tours there!



Next time: Munich, and lots about food.

No comments:

Post a Comment