Saturday, December 10, 2011

Amsterdam, with a little Malaga to start it off.

Since we had a long weekend, I met up with my friend Amanda to go visit Amsterdam. (Yes, I know we should have picked a better time since it's super cold there) Since we don't live that close to each other, we decided to meet in Malaga the day before our flight left from there. Malaga was amazing! It's on the southern coast, so we had pretty nice weather, and the city was decked out for Christmas! Compared to Amsterdam, it was about a million times  better, which was actually a little depressing. Amsterdam, I had high expectations for Christmas decor....you kinda failed. I could tell you a long story about everything we did, or I could show you some of my 300 pictures and then elaborate. One of those is easier, so that's what I'll be doing!

Since we had most of the afternoon, and all of the evening in Malaga, we did lots of tourist stuff. We visited the Cathedral, which was gorgeous as usual. I love walking through old cathedrals. I find them so calming and I always feel close to God in them. I stopped to say a prater and light a candle for Tom and his master's thesis, which seemed to work out well for him since he's defended it and is done!!

La Pieta in the cathedral. So cool.

I love orange trees. This is the pathway up to the Alcazaba.

In the Alcazaba. Ignore the crazy hair.

Malaga, I think I love you. (View from the Alcazaba.)

Christmas decorations as far as you can see. LOVE.

Rijksmuseum. And the park. 

Heineken Brewery. 

Fries with Mayonnaise. 

My delicious fried apple ball. I forget the Dutch name, but I love it.

Dam Square. I love the architecture. 

On our walking tour of Amsterdam.

This is Amsterdam. Lots of bridges, bikes and cool buildings.

Faro. I love this place.

Hidden garden in the middle of Amsterdam.

Anne Frank house. I want to smile, but felt weird. 
 Getting to tour the Anne Frank house was definitely the highlight of the trip! I've wanted to go there since I've read the diary, and after learning about the Holocaust, it was even deeper and more meaningful.

Our Lord in the Attic church.
 This church is amazing. It was a secret Catholic church from when Catholicism was outlawed in the 1500's (I think). This wealthy man built it in the attic of his house and 2 others and it has an organ and room for 300 people I think. I have so many pictures and things to talk about from this place. I loved this museum.

Heineken Brewery. Notice how I'm not standing in the bike lane.
I loved Amsterdam. I have more pictures, but I forgot to take pictures of important things, so here's the rundown of what we did.
Saturday: Heineken Brewery, walked around Amsterdam, explored 2 Christmas markets, and ate delicious food.
Sunday: Walking tour all over historic parts of Amesterdam, Anne Frank House, Van Gogh museum, Red Light District tour
Monday: Rijksmuseum, Diamond Museum, Our Lord in the Attic museum, shopping.

We left Tuesday morning super early (6:55) , and then immediately traveled home when we got to Malaga. I got home at 5:00, so it was a long day full of bus rides, but totally worth it! Amsterdam, I love you and I'm coming back for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment